Thursday, May 2, 2013

Surgery for our Sweet John

We joined the post adoption surgery club yesterday. John had his third lip surgery to date, but first with our family. Can I say how much I love Primary Children's Hospital? They know kids and know exactly what to do to help the families and the children feel comfortable. Thankfully one of Rick's best friends is a Pediatric Anesthesiologist at Primary Children's, so we requested him. Honestly he was a saint (Thanks Miller!), and he was instrumental in helping me feel comfortable. He came and personally got us and walked us through each of the steps. John got dressed in his cute little hospital jammies (notice his baby Zhe Nan in his hospital attire), and picked out his mode of transportation to the surgery.

I was able to walk down the hall to a certain point and then had to leave him in Chris' very capable and loving hands. John was so enjoying the ride that it was not at all traumatic for him - I can't say the same for myself. If I ever wondered if I felt the same about John as the other kids in our family this experience absolutely solidified the fact that there is no difference. I had all the emotions of his mom. I love this boy. He is without a doubt my boy.

Chris took John back to the O.R. and told me that he sat John on his lap while he administered the anesthesia, while letting John play with a balloon. How sweet is that imagery? Then the surgery went very smoothly with Chris giving us text updates along the way.

All in all our boy was a trooper and so brave. I can't tell you how grateful I was to be in the room with him when he awoke. This experience has further bonded us. Overall I just feel so thankful for the kindness and the training for the physicians, and especially my sweet boy, who I am so thankful to be able to call son!











No comments:

Post a Comment