Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I 'll Be Your Huckleberry ...

This is a quote we have been saying a lot lately in our house. It is Huckleberry picking season!

We went out for Family Home Evening last night and had our very first huckleberry picking adventure. Our first step was to head to the hills where the berries are at their best. Thankfully we found some knowledgeable locals up there who were gracious enough to take us to the perfect spot and show us what huckleberry plants look like (helpful info!).

All of the kids had a great time, and each were able to fill up their cups to the top with the huckleberries.  I enjoyed it because my dad's side of the family lived around here - at least 3 generations back, so I have heard of huckleberry picking. I felt like I was connecting with my roots a little, and I liked it.
















Update 8/22/14 - Although we thought we were picking huckleberries, we recently discovered that we were actually picking choke cherries - that information would have been helpful a few weeks ago - so funny!

1 comment:

  1. How freaking fun! Can't wait to get together soon! The kids ask every day to go to Idaho!!

    ReplyDelete