Sunday, August 19, 2012

Guangzhou / Canton

We discovered that Guangzhou is the place the English called Canton. I've been reading a book about Canton, so I was happy with my discovery.

We decided to do nothing today. Everyday we have been here our schedule has been packed. As one would imagine, we were a little tired. John was exhausted. So we opted out of the tour and stayed put. One thing we tried to do was church. We hailed a taxi cab and they took us to an address about 15 minutes away and dropped us off on the corner. We had no idea where we were or where the church was. I had a map of the church and an address in English. We thought that there would be a plaque or something identifying the church building. We walked up and down the street "asking" people for help. No one spoke english ... funny. Anyway, finally someone pointed to a torn down building across the street and let us know that the church used to be there. Oh well. It sounded really nice to go to church today, really show our gratitude to Heavenly Father, and maybe get some extra blessings. I'm really glad we tried.

The address was right by the Pearl River so it was nice to see that and walk around. The Pearl River is the largest river in the south of China and the third largest river in China. It is so hot here. I know I sound redundant but it is unlike anything I have ever felt before. I fantasize about wearing a dress or a skirt. For those of you who know how much I dislike those items of clothing, this puts the heat into some perspective.

One activity we did join tonight was the group dinner at a local restaurant called the Macau Street Restaurant. It is a mixture of Cantonese and Portuguese food. I was a little worried, but it was the best food of the trip. The food was great and it was so nice to be with even more families who have adopted. That is probably my favorite part about being here in Guangzhou. I would guess that there are at least 30 families here who have adopted. Out of everyone that we have met, we remain the only ones who are adopting for the first time. One family is here who is on their third adoption from China. We met a family who just adopted twin baby girls, another couple who just adopted 2 children both from the special focus program, and many others. There are some truly inspirational people out there. It is nice to be around them.

John is sooooooooooooo attached to Rick. It has moved from attached to a crazier place. I was feeling a little bad about not being wanted this morning and Rick was feeling frustrated about being wanted too much. I have ended up just laughing about it because it is so funny. Rick has to do everything. He has to take him to the bathroom, he has to feed him, he has to bathe him, he has to hold him, he has to eat with John sitting on his lap. I on the other hand am having a lovely vacation. I watch it all from a distance with my feet up. It is so relaxing here! :) John got his hand caught in a door tonight though and let me hold him and comfort him. It really is so funny.

Here are pictures of Rick and John today - you will notice my absence.

John at the Pearl River

This is John's favorite activity. He goes up and down and up and down and up and down ...

This is a waterfall by the park by the hotel

This is at the Macau Street Restaurant

I love this picture. It is a wedding limo. Can you spot the "theme" of the wedding?

2 comments:

  1. I am loving these updates thanks for always keeping it updated daily. our friends here that adopted last year's said that they did the same tours and opted out of a lot of them even though it made tgeir tour guides mad. hope you have a great vacation! love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, now I am regretting that my wedding theme wasn't hello kitty! Cute john...he wil figure out soon enough that you are the best mom ever!

    ReplyDelete